Restless legs is the one of the grey areas in medicine as it can have multiple causes and varicose veins happen to be one of them.
It is described as a feeling of itching, pulling or creeping mostly felt in the lower limbs.
- Unknown (A great way to start)
- Strong family history – Especially if it starts before 40 years of age
- Medications – Antidepressants, anti nausea and antihistamines to name a few classes
- Excessive alcohol or caffeine
- Low iron
- Late pregnancy – Often improves after delivery
- Varicose veins
As you can see the cause is often unknown but there are various factors that can contribute towards it.
Multiple treatments are available from lifestyle changes, massage, magnesium to stronger medications to block the signals to the brain. These may include anti seizure medication, pain medication and medication to help you sleep.
Treating your varicose veins has helped in some cases, but I am often the first to tell patients that it may not be their vein issues causing their symptoms. It is always a bonus when their veins are treated, to find out that it has gone but it is definitely not a guarantee.