The commonest causes for varicose veins are genetic and strong family history, followed by pregnancy and being overweight. There is no conclusive evidence from studies that show wearing compression stockings can help prevent or prolong the development of varicose veins.
What we do know based on the evidence and the usefulness, on which person it helps:
- Those that have ulcers or wounds on their legs
- After surgical treatments especially those involving the tummy or bones
- Those who have swelling or a condition known as lymphoedema
- Those who have had a deep vein thrombosis or deep clot in their legs, as a way to prevent future issues with pain and swelling
- Very useful after leg vein treatments